[Coco] ncurses Library for C

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Fri Nov 9 05:13:11 EST 2007

>Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 16:05:24 +0000
>From: Manny <cocolist at invigorated.org>
>
>Having my interest spurred by the discussion of a public domain text
>editor, I was wondering if an updated ncurses (or curses) package could
>be created for things like unbuffered input, moving the cursor to a
>particular position, and the like.

It could be done....

I think the main reason it hasn't is that curses, under OS-9, would
mainly be a compatiblity library.  CGFX has just about everything
curses offers.

That said, there does seem to be a little interest in having proper
curses for OS-9.  There's some source on rtsi that nobody's been able
to successfully compile...

Actually, just recently I was complaining to a friend of mine about
this, and he hacked up a curses front-end he'd written into something
that pretends to be real curses (he even got rogue to compile with it)
but the code's so dreadful I doubt the CoCo's C compiler could handle
it, at least right now.

For your text editor project, the main reason you might want curses is
so you could then compile your editor under another OS.  If you don't
care about compatibility, you could just use cgfx.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
   --- Yacko