[Coco] Glenside IDE Hard Drive Interface --- HOW-TO

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed Nov 7 14:27:35 EST 2007

At 11:43 AM 11/7/2007, you wrote:
>Manny wrote:
> > Bob Devries wrote:
>a little steep for a text editor for the CoCo. $10.00 - $15.00
> > would be a better range, IMHO.
> >
>At the time I bought it, I was using my CoCo on a daily basis, and it
>was well worth the price.  I think I got it along with VPRINT for
>something like $50.  At this point, like you, my budget for CoCo stuff
>falls more under the "Fun and Entertainment" line item.  I would also be
>more willing to buy CoCo software if it was in the $10-$15 range.  I
>suspect that a price point like that would likely generate more software
>sales -- especially for software that was written long ago and isn't
>being actively developed -- but I only know about my own situation.  In
>any case, VED (and VPRINT) is a good editor (despite the fact that it
>isn't anything like Vi :-) ), and I certainly don't regret the money I
>spent on it back in the day.

Boy, this thread is so mangled that I'm not sure who I'm replying to,
but I wanted to add something to Mark's statement about pricing and so forth.

While it's true that lowering the price of software to $10 might
increase some sales, it sometimes can give the buyer a false
impression that the software is not worth more than $10 in
quality.  This in turn can slow down sales.  Sometimes the price
speaks for the software.  The first time I had to deal with this
issue was with my Projector-3 system distributed on floppy disk.  I
spent so much unGodly time of my life on it that I actually lost out
on a lot of life events due to my vow to finish the idea (and to
knock out the current "best" viewers around).  I was working on "The
Projector" and then P-3 almost around the clock at one point when I
became unemployed.  The last work I did on it was when I was married
and had a busy life to shuffle and I still managed to find time to
code without making the wife TOO mad.  The $45 price tag didn't slow
people down at first but over time I would drop the price $5 and $10
at a time until finally one day sales stopped.

Out of all the things I've written the only other software that comes
to mind that carries a worthy price tag for almost unspeakble amounts
of time involved even during regular jobs, life events, marriage,
divorce :), dating :), relationship problems, then onto raising kids
by myself, etc...  if you think all of this is easy while creating
software, then think again. ;)  So, since Portal-9 and Rainbow IDEs
were developed to help YOU create software and perhaps make some
money yourself, I started my price somewhere around $59 or was it $79
at first? ... can't recall.  Anyway, over time I've swung between $10
sometimes and back up to $59, so with ME, you have to visit my
website often and catch me in a good mood where I might post a deal
for the guys (like my own self) who can't afford just any price tag
thrown at them.  If I were a real company and had designed the same
software in only 3 months using 10 employees, I'm sure the price tag
would be close to what other meaty IDEs run for, which is a
LOT.  Unforch, I'm a single dad on a budget, and I run this little
website called coco3.com, so anything I push on there usually just
helps out a little, as I'm not running a real business where I have
time to push thousands of copies of something in a small amount of
time.  If it takes 3 hours to make, it better cost more than $10.  :)

Anyway, support your favorite CoCo vendor or author, and let's keep
it all alive.
Cheers,