[Coco] Glenside IDE Hard Drive Interface --- HOW-TO

Manny cocolist at invigorated.org
Wed Nov 7 09:59:59 EST 2007

Bob Devries wrote:
> It is my opinion that if a file or files is distributed in archived
> format, be it .ar or .lha or .zip, then either the (de)archiver
> programme should be included, or clear instructions should be
> included to locate those (de)archivers.
>
> While this is not usually necessary for us *oldies*, it is often the
> newbies that get into strife with this. I personally don't see any
> reason for archiving files at all, especially since the advent of
> .DSK files (although that is arguably a form of archiving in itself).

We could do with a page that is a central source for things to help
newbies start. I was thinking a page that would have a few tools and
things with a description next to the download. I haven't seen such a
page, and the FTPs that are around doesn't have the ease of use that I
was just talking about.

I also don't see what would be wrong with putting an (de)archiver in to
the NitrOS-9 package. lha, I believe, isn't all that big. If anything,
an extra disk image with utilities that you could download from the
project page might make things a little easier without adding bloat to
the main disk image.

> I agree with Willard; a *decent* screen editor is something that is
> sadly lacking in the public domain. While my editor of choice is Bob
>  van der Poel's Ved, that program is a commercial product, and should
>  not be distributed in this way, but what other (PD) editor comes
> close?

A year or so ago, I did a big search for a public domain editor for OS-9
that would be simple to use. I did find a couple that almost worked, but
I found too many bugs to be able to use them efficiently. This took me
into the idea of programming one myself based off of some of the old
DOS-based text editor. (Using the arrow keys for movement and simple to
remember commands like <CTRL><C>, etc.) But, I've been blocked by my
lack of knowledge of the underlying operating system, some of the
problems that I have encountered with the Microware's (?) C package, as
well as a lack of a good public domain text editor. (Kind of a vicious
circle, eh? :) )

I suppose my last reason could be rectified by purchasing Ved. (Which is
like Vi, right? Blech! I love my Emacs. ;) ) But I can't rationalize
$25.00 (+ s/h) for a text editor for the CoCo right now. (Besides, my
wife would find out and kill me for it! I just barely got by with buying
Portal-9 a few years ago.) Also, no offense to Mark, but I think $25.00
is a little steep for a text editor for the CoCo. $10.00 - $15.00 would
be a better range, IMHO.

One of these days, I would like to program one. But my current interest
in the CoCo is falling off a little bit because of being 3000 miles away
from my CoCo. (It looks like it will be that way for a few years to
come, too.)

I'll stop my rambling now.

-M.