[Coco] 720k 3.5" floppies

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Mon Nov 5 10:10:22 EST 2007

I know 720K 3.5" floppy (360K and 720K 5.25" also) are getting hard to
find, but they are still available at reasonable prices. California
Digital is one dealer I know that has them
(http://www.cadigital.com/flopdriv.htm -- scroll down near the bottom of
the page). 3.5"/720K are $29 (Sony 11W drives), Mitsubishi 501B 360K
drives are $39, and TEC 501 180K drives are only $9. Only DECB users
might want the single sided drives though, not much point in using them
for OS-9. $40 for a 5.25" 360K drive might sound like a lot, but they
aren't made any more! Finding good used ones is tough now too, not even
the thrift stores usually have something that old, all computers I've
seen there lately have at least 1.2M and 1.44M drives, and are usually
Pentium class or better. Most of the 486 and lower machines are in the
land fill or kept as collectibles. Interestingly I still see a good many
486 laptops around though.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"