[Coco] Computers and electric trains...

Aaron Banerjee spam_proof at verizon.net
Wed Nov 28 17:37:49 EST 2007

My (7 year old) son just got a real Lionel O gauge train set from his
grandfather for his birthday/early Christmas.  I've been waiting 35
years for a real Lionel...  Anyhoo, I was wanting to use the computer
for command and control of the set.

I tried getting a relay board for my PC, but I was getting prices for
relay or DAS boards of like $800 - $1600.  This is way out of my price
range.  I must be looking in the wrong place (I tried Keithley and
another place).

The first thing that came to mind after the sticker shock is that the
coco natively has 4 A/D converters (JOYSTK) and a natural relay
(cassette motor).  Unfortunately, I need more than one relay.  I
suppose the out pin of the serial I/O could be used (in conjunction
with a transistor) to drive a relay, but I'd need more than two.

This sounds like something someone on this list has probably done in
the past.  Any insight/advice would be appreciated.
                             - Aaron