[Coco] Rainbow IDE is building to OS-9 virtual disks

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed May 30 14:37:38 EDT 2007

At 05:39 AM 5/29/2007, you wrote:
>Boisy Pitre wrote:
>><snip>
>>Robert Gault is now successfully building ToolShed for Windows using
>>the Borland Turbo C++ product.  It should be a fairly simple exercise
>>to ascertain why rlink isn't working.
>
>Let's clarify that. I can create programs that initially seem
>alright. However, while os9.exe works when creating NitrOS-9,
>mamou.exe does not on my WinXP system.

The version of mamou assembler that I have is generating phasing
errors for some rather simple source code that both CCASM and CASM
are having no trouble with.  For this reason, I'd like to aquire a
newer version if available.

>Mamou is failing with the ldq opcode and with values such as
>#label-*-2 and possibly other opcodes. It would be very helpful if
>some other WinXP user would try compiling the Toolshed programs with
>either Turbo C++ or msys so I can eliminate the possibility of
>system to system problems vs. mamou source code problems.

I know how he feels.  The expression evaluator in CCASM is quite
powerful, but not necessarily coded in the most efficient way (but it
works great).  I used high-level compiler-like statements for those
routines and later converted some of the code to pure 80x86 ML.  The
parent language HLA is actually part compiler/part assembler, so I
can have the best of both worlds.  The expression evalulation
routines took way more time than it took to write the other parts of
the assembler.

>The rma.exe, rlink.exe, and decb.exe produced by Turbo C++ have not
>yet been tested on my system.

My copy of decb.exe is corrupting any files copied to the virtual
disk as type -2 (binary).  For instance, the Projector-3 project
included in the Rainbow IDE is frequently altered in my tests to use
various other imaging tools and assemblers, etc. and while
imgtool.exe does a good job, it can't translate ASCII BASIC to
tokenized BASIC like decb.exe does, so I have to use decb.exe since
several of the P-3 components are in ASCII BASIC in the IDE and I'd
like for them to be tokenized when they are copied to the final
program disk.  I know it's not necessary, and imgtool.exe can still
be used to copy the BASIC over as ASCII BASIC, those programs
obviously load slower.

While I'm on the subject, if anyone knows of a C compiler for 32-bit
Windows that produces 6809 source code, please e-mail me a copy with
the linker?  16-bit programs won't work from the IDE unless somebody
knows of a trick.  I use CreateProcess from the Windows API to launch
command-line tools.  I really want to do some 6809
compile/assemble/link testing.

Yesterday I made more improvements to the Rainbow IDE and fixed some
bugs that have gone unfixed for years now.  Pathnames with spaces
should work now with all the tools called on, and also the os9.exe
command now copies to CMDS/program.r, although I had to force that by
calling my output object file "CMDS/program.r" which is cheating,
ofcourse.  :)  Eventually I want to be able to target directories
within any virtual disk capable of receiving files that way.  Right
now I'm cheating by using "CMDS\main.r" as the object name (notice
the BACK slash for Windows) because it writes to that Windows folder,
then all references to that file later are the same, and I do a quick
\ to / conversion right before calling os9.exe.  So what happens is
CMDS\main.r is copied to the virtual disk's CMDS/main.r path.

--
Roger Taylor