[Coco] Rainbow IDE is building to OS-9 virtual disks

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon May 28 18:02:10 EDT 2007

On May 27, 2007, at 9:36 PM, Roger Taylor wrote:

> Some news on Rainbow...
>

> In other words, when you build your project, the template disks are
> copied to temporary disks for receiving your project objects.  This
> keeps os9.exe from generating Error #216, etc. if your output
> object filenames already exist on the disk(s).  Since you're
> starting with a fresh disk on each build, and as long as you don't
> try to send a file to the disk that overwrites an existing file,
> os9.exe does the job and stocks your disk with whatever objects you
> want.  However, I can't seem to write a file such as "CMDS/main.r"
> "./CMDS/main.r" "/CMDS/main.r", etc.  Boisy, can os9.exe follow paths?

I'm not sure I follow.  If CMDS is a directory on the disk, then this
should work:

os9 copy xx.txt nitros9.os9,CMDS/xx.txt

If the file already exists, then you can do this:

os9 copy -r xx.txt nitros9.os9,CMDS/xx.txt

> RMA is used in this test project, which is currently just sending
> the ROF (.r) file to the OS-9 disk, so I've got to work on the
> Linker support in the IDE now and get this working like it should.
> That is, after all of the .asm files are assembled, a Linker pass
> would do it's job.  I'm not really sure how this will work right
> now but the idea is to tag each file with dependency on another
> file, and the IDE would do the job without any makefile.

One of the tasks on the table is getting RMA support put into mamou.
It's a bit slow in coming, but once complete, rma will be completely
phased out of ToolShed.

> Linker support in the Rainbow IDE will take a lot of work, but not
> much more than what I've already put in for the recent overhauls
> and improvements.  So far, I think a 3-pass system should do the
> trick (Compilers, Assemblers, Linkers).  When you add a builder to
> the system you tag it was one of those types and the IDE should do
> the rest.

Robert Gault is now successfully building ToolShed for Windows using
the Borland Turbo C++ product.  It should be a fairly simple exercise
to ascertain why rlink isn't working.

--
Boisy G. Pitre
Email: boisy at boisypitre.com