[Coco] [color computer] archiving or backing up a hard drive

George's Coco Address yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Mon May 28 02:15:00 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul T. Barton"
> --- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "George's Coco Address"
> <yahoo at ...> wrote:
>>
>> Now that I only have one hard drive on my CC3, I need a way to get the
>> contents of that drive to this PC.

<snip>
> I too use DSAVE but do it like this:
> CD /H0
> DSAVE /H0 /H1 >filename
> This gives me a really huge file (filename).
> Then I can go back and edit for the actual transfer.
>
> Paul

Please note that I have only one hard disk. Dsave will create a script for
copying files to another storage device. This is the way I did the backups
prior to losing the other hard drive. This took about thirteen hours to
complete. Now I have to transfer the contents of the one hard drive to
another computer(this PC).
As I learn how to use it, Lha is a very good tool for just this purpose.  It
is a file compression/storage utility similar to ZIP. So I can just crunch
up the directories on the drive and transfer them to this PC.

Now that it's pretty easy to move things back and forth between the coco and
this PC, I'm thinking that I may just do away with hard drives on the coco
once the one remaining drive fails.  However, the talk lately about SCSI to
IDE adapters and CF card adapters may even be a better solution. It seems
that it would be quite fast and easy to take the CF card from the coco, plug
it into this PC and back it up. The copy shouldn't take but a second or two,
I think.

Transferring the CMDS and SYS directories took almost an hour and a half at
9600baud.

Normally, I can use the coco at 19200 but, for some reason dloadx and dloady
won't start a transfer at that speed..... sometimes. I think it depends on
the position of the stars or the moon's position. Some days, they work fine
and other days I can't get them to work at 19.2.

Of course, it's not the coco. A coco never fails to do as expected, so it
has to be the PC. I've been through several PCs and they all eventually die.
Each time a mother board dies, I have to get a new case to handle the new
form factor with the exception of the last death. I found a new, retro MB on
the net and put that in. It still has trouble at higher speeds communicating
with the coco just like all the others.    (tongue in cheek)

George