[Coco] Carey's CoCo Floppy Conversion Effort

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat May 26 22:06:50 EDT 2007

All, Carey, Tim:

I have completed the survey of the DECB subset (207 floppies) of the
full set of CoCo floppies (around 280). The recovery statistics for the
data is as follows:

--------------------------------
Recovery Statistics For DECB Set
--------------------------------

Total Number (#) of Disks: 207
Total Number (#) of Sides: 414

         # out of Total   % of
Type   	Disks	 Sides  Total
-------	-----    -----  -----
Good    177.5      355     86

Unread:  29.5       59     14

    DNR:  24.5       49     12
  BLANK:   3.5        7      1*
  FUBAR:   1.5        3      1*

* NOTE - Due to rounding errors, these percentages are not accurate

---

To convert these floppies, I utilized the DOS RETRIEVE.EXE to create
both 35 track and 40 track disk images (DSK format), depending on the
format of the original floppy. Many were converted straight off the
original floppy. Others, which couldn't be read in this method, were
converted by first backing up the original to a new/old stock floppy
using my Color Computer 3 floppy drive system using the BACKUP command
and other methods. This new floppy could then be read by RETRIEVE.

In this way, I ended up with nearly a 90 percent recovery rate. This
number, however, is deceptive. The above totals for unreadable floppies
include both floppy sides which couldn't be read at all (by anything I
have, that is), as well as floppy sides which were blank. Only 3 floppy
sides actually appeared to contain readable data (usually in the form of
a readable directory), but couldn't be read or backed up (these I intend
to forward on to you, Tim, once I am completed with my end of this
project in total).

If you only factor in the truely difficult-to-read floppy sides, and
factor out those which had errors or were blank, you end up with a
different picture:

--------------------------------
Recovery Statistics For DECB Set
--------------------------------

Total Number (#) of Disks: 179 (358 / 2)
Total Number (#) of Sides: 358 (414 - 56)

         # out of Total   % of
Type   	Disks	 Sides  Total
-------	-----    -----  -----
Good    177.5      355     99

Unread:   1.5        3      1

  FUBAR:   1.5        3      1

---

One could say the first chart is of "total number of floppies", while
the second chart above is of "total number of floppies containing
readable data".

During this recovery process, I have come across many interesting
applications, games, and other software. I am certain that the OS-9
subset will be no different. However, at this point, I cannot release
any of the images. I will only make them available once I have
everything completed (in addition to the images of the OS-9 set, I need
to do some scans of certain disks and envelopes themselves, as well as
of some manuals and other interesting things in this archive). There has
also been talk about a review process for the images (Carey, Tim: Let's
remember to discuss this later, ok?).

Thank you,

Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona