[Coco] Determining OS-9 Floppy Type

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sun May 27 17:54:00 EDT 2007

Hi,

When they got to 80 Tracks on 5 1/4" floppies the double head capability was
well known and as the mission was to put as much as possible on a single
diskette, a single head would never been considered.

Having said that, I have many single sided 80 Track OS-9 disks.

This was done for many reasons:

a) Booting a double sided OS-9 system disk was not possible initially. (I
got my two TEAC 80T 2S drives as soon as they were available, they did not
become popular.)

b) I used SDISK3 which had the 80T 2S support first before the more standard
drivers did. (D.P. Johnson)

c) A 80T 1S disk holds the same amount of data as a 40T 2S disk, it was
useful in the early steps of creating disks for a friend who had only 40T 2S
disks. I never had any problem creating 40T 2S disks for him in my 80T 2S
drives as I always bulk erased the disk before SFORMATing a disk for him.

d) Jeff's emulator had an error with reading double sided disks but I could
read single sided disks just fine. Now fixed in the 6309 version.

My current floppy configuratation is one 80T 2S 5 - 1/4" drive and one  80T
2S 3.5" drive. They can be interchanged (/d0 to /d1, /d1 to /d0) just by
flipping a switch.

My descriptors are set up for 80T 2S on both /d0 and /d1. OS-9 now can read
any formatted disk just by reading LSN0.

ALL my disks have the correct LSN0 values so this is possible.

Stephen H. Fischer