[Coco] [Color Computer] [coco] SCSI trouble

George's Coco Address yahoo at dvdplayersonly.com
Thu May 24 18:01:00 EDT 2007

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "George's Coco Address"
>>
>>> I use a Ken-Ton SCSI interface on one of my coco3 machines under OS9
>>> L2. In
>>> a recent attempt to backup the hard drive (ST138N) to another, external
>>> ST138N, I discovered that I could not access the external drive and the
>>> internal drive is being accessed as both /h0 and /h1.
>>> This system used to work, but it was a long time ago since I did a
>>> backup.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions as to what may cause this problem?
>>>
>From: "Joel Ewy"
> SCSI bus termination?
>
> JCE

Yeah, they are there.

>> Just now, using dmode, I changed drv to $02 and $03 on the /dd /h0 and
>> /h1 device descriptors and the /h0 drive was always present. I'm
>> guessing at this point that there may be a problem with the drive
>> itself.  Later, I'll replace that drive with the other one and see if
>> the problem persists.
>> This CC3 is a repack in a PC case. The /h0 drive is in that case. The
>> /h1 drive is in an external case.

 Well, I swapped drives and the spare wouldn't work. It would make noises as
the head moved around but failed. It was formatted identically to the
"master" drive.

 So for now, I suppose it doesn't matter that the primary drive thinks it's
/h0 /h1 /h2 and /h3. I made a completely new boot disk and the symptoms are
still the same.

 When I get time, I'll put the spare drive back in and see if I can reformat
it.

George