[Coco] cobbler'd disks

Mark Marlette mark at cloud9tech.com
Wed May 16 04:26:55 EDT 2007

Mike,

Ok...but.....

You are missing one important part here.

An image is not created on the coco, which you know. NitrOS-9 is
based upon scripts.

Go to the modules directory. Don't recall the exact path or names
here. I run a custom boot and Boisy and I differ on why/where we
place modules. He places modules based upon function. Example, RBF
drivers go in the RBF path of NitrOS-9. I don't mix products. So mine
is party based. CDF has a directory, DriveWire has a directory and
SuperDriver has a directory. That way the products are not mixed with
the OS. This is not as big of a deal since NitrOS-9 is not changing
as much now as it use to be. I just keep a clean directory structure.
An update to the proper product, short edit using VED to the
bootlist, run the mb_x script and a new disk is made with the new
drivers present.

There are two directories. One is bootlists and the other is scripts.
In the bootlist directory there is a file named standard.bl, read it,
it makes total sense. This will be the file that contains all of the
modules that is in your boot.

In the scripts directory, there is a mb file, forget the name, mine
again are custom, which I will get to in a bit, no pun intended. Run
this script with NO modifications and NO modifications to the
bootlist standard.bl. It WILL create a bootable disk. If not then
there is a hardware issue.

If the above works, then go to the next, custom level. Copy the
standard.bl to another name. I have several for example.
Superdriver_floppy.bl, superdriver_hard.bl. These are copies of the
standard.bl with Cloud-9 specific descriptors for CFs. All .dds from
C-9 are the same. 256MB or 128MBs. That way when you are done
flashing the flash. You can swap CFs and transfer programs, etc.

Then in the script directory do the same copy the mb to mb_floppy.d0,
this will make a floppy boot on /d0, remember you must change the
name of the .bl you are now running. I have three. mb_floppy.d0,
mb_hard.dd and mb_hdb.dd.

The only difference between a hard boot and a HDB-DOS boot is the
boot track. You will see this in the script when it generates the boot track.

If you REALLY want to understand NitrOS-9, read and understand these scripts.

They work and well. Remember don't change until you can create a bootable disk

Hopefully this helps...at 3:26AM........

Regards,

Mark
Cloud-9