[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Manney mannslists at invigorated.org
Wed May 9 18:36:08 EDT 2007

Dan Olson wrote:
>> I'll ask the obvious. Did you install proftpd? I have mine as a
>> standalone, and have been using proftpd since I switched from RedHat
>> -> Mandrake -> Debian. So around 1998 - 1999?
>
> You know, I don't know if I did, what does it do, exactly?

proftpd is an ftp server daemon. I have one running on each of my Linux
machines. It's supposed to be better and more secure than wu-ftpd.

>> Okay, there are packages called telnetd and telnetd-ssl. I installed
>> telnetd and it worked without any configuration.
>
> I think telnetd is there, but not enabled?  Honestly it's been a long
> time.  I want to have telnet working because a) I use it with my old
> machines that don't have an SSH and b) because it's the only way that I
> know of to get a remote Xterm; telnet in and set the DISPLAY to the
> other machine, then run whatever program I want in the background.
> Maybe I just don't know of a better way :)

All I did on my system was install telnetd (sudo apt-get install
telnetd), and it worked. I was able to telnet on to my computer from my
wife's. I would assume that it wouldn't be too different from Debian
Woody or Sarge, but I haven't tried it.

-M.