[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun May 6 09:48:24 EDT 2007

On Sunday 06 May 2007, Manney wrote:
>Dan Olson wrote:
>> I'm still fighting figuring out how to enable telnet and ftp
>> in Debian, this stuff used to be pretty simple (not to mentioned enabled
>> by default) in the past.
>
>I'll ask the obvious. Did you install proftpd? I have mine as a
>standalone, and have been using proftpd since I switched from RedHat ->
>Mandrake -> Debian. So around 1998 - 1999?
>
>I've never had to telnet in to any of my machines, so I'm going to play
>to see if I can get it to work...
>
>Okay, there are packages called telnetd and telnetd-ssl. I installed
>telnetd and it worked without any configuration.

But, telnet is also pretty insecure, Manny.  I don't think, since my original
install of rh5.1, that I've ever enabled a telnet server on any of my boxes.

Use the Secure SHell, aka ssh, for such duties.  One of the security
mechanisms there is that not only does the comm between the machines become
encrypted, each machine will generate its own identifier hash so that the
other machine will recognize it again.

There is also the equivalent file transfer command called sft, but I've not
used that enough to be familiar with how that works.  You should have
manpages for both in the std install.

X can also be exported over this ssh channel, so that an xwindow based program
can be run, and its output displayed on your screen just as if it was running
locally on your machine, but that takes a little more setup on both machines
to do.