[Coco] [Color Computer] C compiler for 6809

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 5 14:11:47 EDT 2007

On Saturday 05 May 2007, Joel Ewy wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I thought the gcc6809 project was dead?
>>
>> I don't think so Manny, see <http://www.oddchange.com/gcc6809/> for its
>> current status.  From that page, to download, you'll need a working SVN
>> client.  Apparently its working pretty well with gcc-3.4.6, but not as
>> well with the gcc-4.1.  From that web page, its a one man project unless
>> someone with compiler writing knowledge were to offer to help.  Its been
>> over a decade since I last fooled with c.prep.  I don't think that would
>> make me "qualified" to muck around in the internals. :)
>
>This is kind of interesting, as the current discussion on the (dare I
>mention a Linux distro by name?) Debian-M68k mail list is about patches
>to make GCC 4.1 and 4.2 produce proper code for the 68K architecture.  A
>buggy GCC 4.1 was what slowed the building of packages down to the point
>that M68k got dropped from the official release of Etch and has to
>appear alongside Etch as an unofficial co-release.
>
>Wouldn't the Debian-M68k guys be amused to learn that 4.1 doesn't work
>on the 6809 either?
>
>:)
>
>JCE

Probably, Joel, but OTOH, the 6809 has never, ever in its history, been
supported by any gcc that I'm aware of, and I even used a 2.3 variant on the
amiga a few times.  I think that was the version, I'd have to drag some of my
geek gadgets cd's down and check for sure.  That is I believe, where gcc got
its start, but I can be corrected.

But it built crashy code cuz it let wild pointers go by, and the amiga, with
its flat memory model, could be brought to its knees and rebooted at the drop
of one wild write.  Even the SAS compiler might do that, but much less often,
which is what I used, and still have on the shelf above my head.  6.58, the
last version, somebody make me an offer.  Its the definitive amiga C
compiler.

[...]

--
Cheers, Gene