[Coco] [Color Computer] C compiler for 6809

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat May 5 10:55:05 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> There's also a port of Small C (for OS-9) on rtsi.  I've never used
>>> it, so I can't really say if it qualifies as "good" or not.
>>>
>>> There was a native DECB C compiler, or at least someone did an ad for
>>> it in Rainbow back in the day, but I don't know of anyone who has a
>>> copy.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, you're looking at cross-compiling, and I'm not sure what
>>> the status of the GCC port is.  Anyone?
>>>
>>> Willard
>>>
>> I thought the gcc6809 project was dead?
>>

> I don't think so Manny, see <http://www.oddchange.com/gcc6809/> for its
> current status.  From that page, to download, you'll need a working SVN
> client.  Apparently its working pretty well with gcc-3.4.6, but not as well
> with the gcc-4.1.  From that web page, its a one man project unless someone
> with compiler writing knowledge were to offer to help.  Its been over a
> decade since I last fooled with c.prep.  I don't think that would make
> me "qualified" to muck around in the internals. :)

This is kind of interesting, as the current discussion on the (dare I
mention a Linux distro by name?) Debian-M68k mail list is about patches
to make GCC 4.1 and 4.2 produce proper code for the 68K architecture.  A
buggy GCC 4.1 was what slowed the building of packages down to the point
that M68k got dropped from the official release of Etch and has to
appear alongside Etch as an unofficial co-release.

Wouldn't the Debian-M68k guys be amused to learn that 4.1 doesn't work
on the 6809 either?

:)
JCE