[Coco] Stereo Composer

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sat May 5 10:45:19 EDT 2007

coco at yourdvd.net wrote:
> The stereo composer output ports are mapped at $FF70 AND $FF72 (8-BIT
> DACS). The Orchestra 90/CC is mapped at $FF7A and $FF7B   (In order of
> left / right).
>
> I have developed a simple switchable mod to convert an Orch-90 into a
> stereo composer compatible pak.

Hey, that's pretty cool.  I added a switch to my old CoCo Max II
joystick interface so that it would work on the CoCo 3, before CoCo Max
3 was available.

What was the Speech Systems software like?  I assume it wasn't ROM-based
like the Orch. 90.

This also feeds into the venerable next-gen CoCo threads of yore.  We
had a lot of discussion a couple months back about what hardware to
emulate in a (still mostly hypothetical) improved CoCo, whether emulated
on a PC or implemented in a hardware description language on an FPGA.
We were looking at which games and other software supports the
Speech/Sound Cartridge and which supports the Orch. 90CC.  Many more
games support the SSC than the O90CC, though there are a few that use
the latter.  But there are some digital sample players that use the
Orch. 90, and loads of Orch. 90-native music files.  I contend that the
Orch. 90's hardware is so dirt simple, it could be integrated with the
SSC, so there's really no reason to choose.  And if there is a Speech
Systems board that differs from the (hardware portion of the) Orch. 90
only in being mapped to different hardware addresses, that adds just one
more reason to include a stereo 8-bit DAC alongside, or integrated with
the speech and music synthesizers of the SSC.

JCE