[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO & Linux in General

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu May 3 21:41:38 EDT 2007

On Thursday 03 May 2007, John W. Linville wrote:
>On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:42:07AM -0500, Frank Pittel wrote:
>> I can offer to extend this OS flame war by stating that if you want
>> a stable and reliable platform with maximum performance nothing
>> (including linux in it's wildest of dreams) can touch solaris.
>
>Oh, please...
>
>Between the people who had never tried Linux, those who had only
>tried it years ago, and those trying something recent on a (re-)tired
>machine and comparing it to their brand new Vista box, there was more
>dis-information, mis-information and just plain un-information in
>this thread than I have seen in a long time.  It seems that everyone
>was just plain happy with that.  I should not have let facts get in
>the way of everyone's good time.
>
>But, thanks for painting me as the bad guy.  Maybe next time I'll
>just let the list wallow in its orgy of misinformation and uninformed
>opinions.
>
>John

I'll second that exasperated "Oh please" motion, John.  Anyone who came up
thru the ranks of os9, more or less automaticaly migrated to the amiga when
they needed more, just because it had a motorola brain & a familiar feel to
the way it ran.  And when the amiga wore out, died, whathaveyou, the next
step was to linux, first on an old x86 box of some sort, and eventually to
much faster hardware.  I am on my 3rd generation linux box as the main box
now, and its getting long in the tooth as its only an XP2800 Athlon, running
at an actual 2GHZ, with a gig of ram & about 600GB of drives.  Which ATM is
busy printing a 216 page document from the emc2 project in the background as
I type.

When I made the switch to linux in 1997, windows was not capable of using USB,
its tcp stack was borrowed from BSD complete with its bugs, its multitasking
consisted of putting the program you left to sleep till you callled it back
again, whereas os9, amigados and linux were ALL fully multitasking.  Frankly,
the thought of jumping in the shark pool and becoming a windows user never,
ever crossed my mind.

All of that seemed perfectly logical to me, and 10 years & at least 5 machines
later, 3 of which are running here right now, I've never regretted the path
I've taken.

I'm not trying to belittle the windows user all that much, it has gotten to be
a fairly capable os of late, and can run for years of uptime if you never let
it get anywhere near a network cable that is a straight connection to the
network.

But, so can a coco3 running nitros9.  The very design of that os in the level
2 configuration, where the app cannot even see the pages of memory the os
lives in, protects it from an application crash 99.99% of the time, and not
even linux can do that level of dependability in the face of poorly written
aps that go all aglay for nothing more serious than the typu's I can make at
10 to the minute.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

> > Wait. Don't you mean:

Yes. Just ignore me when I show extreme signs of Alzheimers.

	- Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel