[Coco] Fedora 6 DVD ISO

Frank Pittel fwp at deepthought.com
Wed May 2 15:19:07 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 01:35:15PM -0500, Roger Taylor wrote:
> At 01:07 PM 5/2/2007, you wrote:
> >Roger Taylor wrote:
> >You need to remember that the kernel is called "Linux". Everything
> >else that is included with it make the distro. :)
> >
> >So, technically every distribution that uses the Linux kernel can
> >use the name in some form or fashion in it's (the distro's) name.
> >
> >Of course, everyone can correct me if I'm wrong. :)
>

> The only slight argument with this is that the kernel itself is not
> the operating system, therefore it's a bit useless by itself.

Roger,

The kernel and only the kernel is called linux. Most of what makes the
distributions usable are the gnu tools and software. This is why a
number of developers for the gnu tools insist on calling a linux
system or distribution gnu/linux. When asked what he thought about it
Linus Travolds made it clear that the kernel was called linux!!

Frank