[Coco] Mice and The CoCo, Public Domain Library and 6809 Assembly

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Wed May 2 12:48:47 EDT 2007

On Wed, 02 May 2007 10:27:12 -0600, <coco at yourdvd.net> wrote:

> Some months back, I bought a two-button CoCo mouse off of the eBay. I've
> been looking for one of these for a very long time, as in the U.S. the
> single-button mouse was the common one. Anyway, while fooling around
> with multi-vu, I thought about connecting a PC serial mouse to the
> deluxe RS-232 program pack. This shouldn't be much of a problem with
> OS-9 or NitrOS, because a proper driver is all that would need to be
> created. It could also function with Disk BASIC but most of the Disk
> BASIC software wouldn't be compatible. So, I got to thinking: Maybe a
> PS/2 mouse interface could be devised using a PIC Microcontroller of
> some sort, and some Digital Potentiometers. This should allow emulation
> of the Two-Button Color Mouse and allow it to work natively with OS9 and
> DECB software. So, my question is, has anyone attempted such a device?
> It would be nice...
PS/2 I don't know, but the serial mouse is done, and has been for almost 2
decades. Bruce Isted did the drivers, which handled both 2 button
Microsoft Mice and Logitech 3 button mice. I have ran both on mine, and
both on my TC-9 (same driver, different serial chip).

> Second, I was thinking about putting together a CoCo public domain
> library. I know it isn't necessary because anything you want can
> probably be found in the half-a-zillion .dsk images across the net. The
> only motivation I would have for this is to have a SORTED & Documented
> Library to save time in looking for specific files, etc. I thought of a
> catalog numbering series such as CC1xxxx, CC2xxxx, CC3xxxx, where CC1
> would indicate that the software on this disk is only compatible with
> CoCo 1 & 2, CC2 indicates the software is compatible with CoCo 1,2 and
> 3 and CC3 would indicate CoCo 3 only. The xxxx would be something like
> gr00, ga02, etc. indicating graphics disk 00 or games disk 02, etc.
> This would be a very time consuming task, but since my new residence is
> almost complete and my current (run down residence - read that broken
> down trailer) will become my coco lab, I am going to work on all the
> ideas for the CoCo that have been stewing in my mind. Of course, the
> library would be free .dsk image downloads. I am going to purchase some
> bandwidth to set it all up on my servers. It'll be cool :-)

Only PD, or legally released as well? If the latter, anything on my game
site can be used as well, as I have the author's permissions for them.
--
L. Curtis Boyle