[Coco] Mice and The CoCo, Public Domain Library and 6809 Assembly

coco at yourdvd.net coco at yourdvd.net
Wed May 2 12:27:12 EDT 2007

Some months back, I bought a two-button CoCo mouse off of the eBay. I've
been looking for one of these for a very long time, as in the U.S. the
single-button mouse was the common one. Anyway, while fooling around
with multi-vu, I thought about connecting a PC serial mouse to the
deluxe RS-232 program pack. This shouldn't be much of a problem with
OS-9 or NitrOS, because a proper driver is all that would need to be
created. It could also function with Disk BASIC but most of the Disk
BASIC software wouldn't be compatible. So, I got to thinking: Maybe a
PS/2 mouse interface could be devised using a PIC Microcontroller of
some sort, and some Digital Potentiometers. This should allow emulation
of the Two-Button Color Mouse and allow it to work natively with OS9 and
DECB software. So, my question is, has anyone attempted such a device?
It would be nice...

Second, I was thinking about putting together a CoCo public domain
library. I know it isn't necessary because anything you want can
probably be found in the half-a-zillion .dsk images across the net. The
only motivation I would have for this is to have a SORTED & Documented
Library to save time in looking for specific files, etc. I thought of a
catalog numbering series such as CC1xxxx, CC2xxxx, CC3xxxx, where CC1
would indicate that the software on this disk is only compatible with
CoCo 1 & 2, CC2 indicates the software is compatible with CoCo 1,2 and
3 and CC3 would indicate CoCo 3 only. The xxxx would be something like
gr00, ga02, etc. indicating graphics disk 00 or games disk 02, etc.
This would be a very time consuming task, but since my new residence is
almost complete and my current (run down residence - read that broken
down trailer) will become my coco lab, I am going to work on all the
ideas for the CoCo that have been stewing in my mind. Of course, the
library would be free .dsk image downloads. I am going to purchase some
bandwidth to set it all up on my servers. It'll be cool :-)

Last, I am still working on my relearning 6809 assembly language
webpages, and they will be hosted on a totally AD FREE webspace (thanks
to some volunteers from the list). So if you've been waiting for me to
continue, the wait won't be that much longer. I have a couple of new
routines to add to it, one directs print #-2 to the Speech Sound
Cartridge (instead of printing, it is spoken), the second will allow
print #-2 to be sent to the Deluxe (or other) RS-232 port which will
allow use of normal RS-232 printers without having to wire a special
cable. Ideas for other stuff like this, if you have them, send to me,
and I'll try to create the routine and include it in the series.

Have a wondeful day CoCo Friends, I've got to run and re-wire my
sister's trailer (her husband re-wired it and nothing works ... so I've
got to go prevent a possible fire...)   --- Later - robert