[Coco] Off-topic posts require common sense

James Hrubik jimhrubik at earthlink.net
Sat May 5 09:05:09 EDT 2007

Dear fellow CoCo-istas :

This is the only e-mail list I subscribe to.  I maintain the
subscription because (1) the CoCo was my first computer and I have
never ceased being impressed by what it could and still can do, (2) I
have met a number of the regular posters personally (PennFest and
other places) and in those short exposure times began a friendship,
and (3) I have met the rest of you electronically in various places
(going all the way back to the forum on Delphi over 20 years ago) and
consider you all friends and part of a large family.

Over the years I have tried, with my very limited knowledge of
electronics, to help out where I could.  I am not an electrical
engineer or professional electronics techie or professional
programmer, but an electronically ignorant backwoods bumpkin.  For
this reason, the CoCo list has become a source of amazing information
about all sorts of things electronical.  My CoCo is set up in the
room next to my office, and I boot it up about once a year just for
the thrill of seeing the OS-9 login screen; the fact that it comes up
in the customized format is a testimony to the vast amount of useful
CoCo information I have gleaned from this list.

However, I no longer use my CoCo to run my business endeavors (Ah!,
but those were the days, when DynaCalc OS-9 kept my accounts!) and
have little time to play.  I have moved on to other things and use
Other Operating Systems (OOS) for my day-to-day work.  As much as I
think that I know, the people on this list know far more.  Their OT
posts are a source of information to me.  It is a source that I have
found very valuable.  I don't mind it at all.  It has saved me much
pain and tribulation, because those OOS are the things I have to
touch every day.

OT posts do not bother me; many are messages requesting help or
notifying fellow CoCo-istas of family events or other interesting
items (and I am guilty of posting OT messages here as well, some of
which garner torchy replies).  I am not going to unsubscribe from the
list, but will remain in the background harvesting useful bits of
information.  For those of you who are obvious experts in
electronics, thank you, and please realize that when you offer a
correction that you may not always be keeping the lines between fact
and opinion clear.

Also, please realize that to some people, their favorite OOS is their
religion, just as the CoCo was (and still appears to be) to many
people.  Before you fire off a flaming reply to what you may see as
an irrelevant, ignorant, stupid, or whatever post, think about the
fact that you may be blaspheming their god.  Also realize that the
best way to stop a flame war is to simply not reply to the post on-list.

I have said my piece, brothers and sisters.  Post whatever you want
and I will trust that Dennis or his designees will weed out the more
egregious problems.  I will now go back into hiding.

--Jim Hrubik

+||||||||/  HRUBIK APPRAISAL SERVICES  \|||||||||+
+|||||||/   James C. Hrubik, Sr., RAA   \||||||||+
+||||||/  Appraisal & Appraisal Review   \|||||||+
+||||||  Consulting & Litigation Support  |||||||+
+||||||\        V/F-(330)745-8435        /|||||||+
+||||||/    jimhrubik at earthlink.net      \|||||||+
+||||/ http://hrubikappraisal.blogspot.com \|||||+