[Coco] Help with RGB cable

coco at yourdvd.net coco at yourdvd.net
Mon Mar 26 19:11:07 EDT 2007

The pinout for the Apple II GS monitor is:
  1     Red video return
  2     Red video
  3     Composite sync
  4     --
  5     Green video
  6     Green video return
  7     --
  8     --
  9     Blue video
 10     --
 11     --
 12     --
 13     Blue video return
 14     --
 15     --
Shell   Shield ground

However, I believe Marcus mentioned that his had been retrofitted with a
commodore style DIN connector in place of the original Apple connector.
One other item of note: The Horizontal Sync of the Apple II GS is
15.734kHz on the 60Hz model and 15.696kHz on the 50Hz model, whilst the
CoCo outputs 15.75Khz, so the sync will be slightly off. As you
mentioned, a caveat of the composite sync generator is the need to
supply +5v. Most people take it from the joystick port, and this might
affect joystick resolution slightly. An alternative  might be to
piggyback a 74LS02 onto an existing chip in the CoCo 3. Using all
available gates in the 74LS02, you could then have available -csync,
+csync, -hsync, -vsync in addition to vsync and hsync that appears on
the connector at the bottom of the CoCo. You could install a 4-pin
header somewhere on the coco's case for these extra sync signals. -rob