[Coco] Will this work on the COCO

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Mar 24 12:54:01 EDT 2007

On Friday 23 March 2007, Mark McDougall wrote:
>John Donaldson wrote:
>> Found this at the office.
>> <http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?t=9rk7y6bab.0.klvfy9bab.hmrch9bab.25546&ts=S023
>>6&p=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.semiconductorstore.com%2FPages%2FProducts%2FLantro
>>nix.htm> Click on the XPort. This is a complete serial to IP solution.
>> No code required.
>
>Actually, there's plenty of code to be written, both on the device
>itself, and on the Coco.
>
>The device incorporates a CPU and ethernet interface within the form
>factor shown in the piccies. Included in the package is an IP stack to
>run on the firmware.
>
>You still need to provide your own code to talk to the host (CoCo) via
>the serial connection. Perhaps the easiest on that side would be to
>incorporate SLIP - the device would in effect become a bridge. Then
>you'd still need an IP stack and SLIP running on the CoCo.
>
>The other option is a proprietary protocol over the serial interface,
>which requires home-grown software on both the device and the CoCo.
>
>No such thing as a free lunch.
>
>Regards,
>Mark

I got the impression that a very smallish dhcp client program on the coco,
and a copy of the sacia driver targeted to it would be all that's
required.  It claims the tcp stack is already in there for at least one
version.  Or was I trying to read more than was stated?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)