[Coco] [Color Computer] RE: [CoCo] Atari and Amiga comparison

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Thu Mar 15 10:00:24 EDT 2007

Rumor has it that Frank Pittel may have mentioned these words:
>On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 03:22:02PM -0400, RJRTTY at aol.com wrote:
>

>I've often wondered what things would have been like if the coco had
>been built around a 68000 unstead of a 6809.

Very Late?

;-)

The CoCo in it's original incarnation was released in 1979, methinks the
68K wasn't even a gleam in Daddy Motorola's eye yet... ;-)

The CoCo3 [1] might not have been as widespread as it was if they'd chosen
to design around the 68K, mainly because 1) if they emulated the 6809,
legacy software would've run slower than stock CoCos, or 2) the computer
wouldn't have been compatible with the large installed base of CoCos that
existed at the time.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Bugs of a feather flock together."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers |           Russell Nelson