[Coco] [CoCo] Atari and Amiga comparison

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Wed Mar 14 13:57:54 EDT 2007

Dan Olson wrote:
> I'm sure this subject could be debated forever, but here's my 2 cents
> worth.  I have a coco1 and coco2, no coco3.  Our first computer was an
> Atari 1040ST, and I was never overly impressed.  I'm more of a
> hardware guy, so that's where I'm coming from.  I was never impressed
> with the console and Atari's weird DIN connectors, compaired to the
> PCs we were using at school.  Now I've taken an interest in
> "retro-computing" and have computers that I never had access to when
> they were new.  I think the 8 bit Ataris are much more impressive than
> the ST series, even though older, they're much more easily expanded,
> and are very impressive when you consider the design is older than the
> coco1!  The Amiga impresses me because is has good graphics, gets 880k
> on an off-the-shelf 3.5" floppy, and can do quite a bit without many
> CPU cycles.  Also, re the 6809 vs 68000, as a hardware guy I'd say
> that the extra address and data lines, not to mention registers, makes
> the 68k flat out and away the best processor.
>
>     Dan

Dan, what you need is an MM/1 -- but you can't have mine!  :)
I've got an Amiga 1000 and a couple 500s, and I've had quite a bit of
fun with them.  I do like the HAM mode, but I'll have to say that with a
24-bit palette behind its 8-bit CLUT, the MM/1's graphics are really
pretty good.  I've never been able to get my hands on an AGA Amiga, but
JPEGs definitely look better on the MM/1 than on OCS/ECS Amiga.  Plus
the MM/1's 680(7)0 is running at 16MHz as opposed to the Amiga or
Atari's 8.  I used to use the A1000 (with 2M RAM, but floppy only) on
Delphi, and I could transfer files to and from the CoCo either via lz/rz
/ nullmodem or on 720K DOS floppies.  At that time, the A1000 had easily
the best graphics of anything I owned.  (I didn't get my MM/1 till a bit
later.)

Still, I've always wanted to have an ST(whatever) to play with.  It
actually shares a bit of hardware with the MM/1, including the 68901 MFP.

JCE