[Coco] Mary, what's a Hoosier? :)

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Sun Mar 11 13:12:24 EDT 2007

At 11:54 AM 3/11/2007, you wrote:
>On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 11:32:31 -0500
>  Roger Taylor <operator at coco3.com> wrote:
>>At 11:19 AM 3/11/2007, you wrote:
>>Yea, but it's pronounced "hooz-yer", not "hooz-eer".  :)
>>--
>>Roger Taylor
>
>And North of the boarder it's pronounced "hoser" such as in
>"Hey hoser, let drive down to Seattle for some cheep beer and smokes, aye" :)

You mean, border?  :)  I can never get over how different areas
insist on pronouncing words different than areas they consider less
intelligent.  I moved to Texas and expected to hear the common Texas
twang but people here in East Texas for crying out loud are pushing
some kind of northern accent on words like "on", which sounds like
"AH-N" instead of "OH-N".  Even the men make it sound like the female
version, "AH-N" which kills me even today.  50% of the people say
"OH-N" but the other just can't seem to do it.

I think as long as people move around the country and carry their
dialect with them that you'll never know or hear the right way as
pronounced in the dictionaries.  Some folks even go out of their way
to make sure they DO NOT pronounce common words like their opposites
do.  And now you're getting a tremendous, and I mean unusual, mixture
of Spanish/Mexican terms being mixed into the English language,
especially in Texas.

Kiss the English language good bye.  It's gone.  Bye-bye.  Glad you
could stop and visit.  Poor Webster has his work cut out for him today.  :)

--
Roger Taylor