[Coco] debugging in MESS

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Sat Mar 10 21:29:32 EST 2007

David Roper wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> What's the best way to debug assembly code, when developing using MESS?
> I'd rather not have to fire up JVC's emulator just for the debugger!
>
> Kind regards,
> David

Kind of depends on what your goals are. If you are equipped to compile
MESS from the source code, you can create a version of MESS with a
debugger similar to the one in the JVC emulator. That probably is better
at debugging MESS than something running in emulation.

Even with the distributed versions of MESS, you can still debug Basic or
OS-9 programs just as you would do that on a real Coco. Basic has the
commands TRON & TROFF, EDTASM has a built-in debugger, and OS-9 also has
the command debug which is part of the NitrOS-9 distribution.