[Coco] Mike Smith

L. Curtis Boyle curtisboyle at sasktel.net
Fri Mar 2 12:47:28 EST 2007

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 11:12:37 -0600, Boisy Pitre <boisy at boisypitre.com>
wrote:

> That's too bad.  When I worked at Microware I was regularly in touch
> with Mike, but lost contact with him after I left the company.  I did a
> search on the Internet and found this link: http://
> www.toedtmanngrosse.com/index.cfm

     Thanks for the info... I signed the guestbook (although I can't see a
way to view them). The very first version of Omni I every used was the
OS-9000 version (1.1 something or other), and 1.27 was the first DOS
version I used. 2.2 for Windows/Linux had some nasty bugs (even though it
added SQL database support, so I still use 2.1 to this day. When I found
Omni on the web way back then (usuing Lynx through our University), it was
awesome; we were starting the slow transition from our overloaded Coco 3
to Intel machines (starting at the 386 level), and I was worried we would
have to re-code everything from scratch. We did do some initial
programming in Borland C++ (and one program is still running from that),
but development was way too slow, and C's lack of automatic error trapping
and bounds checking caused us all kinds of grief (including several
multi-thousand dollar mistakes when the C code did not even crap out after
a complete loss of connection to the network; it just kept reusing the
last records over and over, duplicating a ton of printing). We had
accumulated about 7 years of BASIC09 (and some assembly for certain
things) code, and Omni chopped the re-development time DRASTICALLY from
any other method we could have picked.

--
L. Curtis Boyle