[Coco] Warning about 3.5" disk failure

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 23:48:47 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I have just recently come across a number of my 3.5" disks which have failed
because the magnetic disc has detached from the metal hub. Once that
happens, you can kiss the data goodbye AFAIK.

Since both the PC and the Coco use the index as the sync for a start of
track, and the index is produced in the mechanism of the drive, altering the
relationship between the drive and the disk, means that the disk becomes
unreadable.

If there is some software that will read a disk, without needing the index
pulse to sync to the start of a track, it would be the only way of
resurrecting the data from such disks.

I'm not sure what steps can be taken to prevent such loss, but maybe a very
small drop of superglue at the inner edge of the magnetic disc?

Comments?

the capacity to be his spokesman,
so that I know how to help the weary.