[Coco] COCO MPI

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jun 27 20:33:26 EDT 2007

John T Chasteen wrote:
> Bob
>
> Will Radio Shack MPI work on Dragon64?
>
> I sure don't want to damage my last Dragon or the RS MPI.
>
> John

I've no idea, but what you need to do is compare the pin-outs of the
cartridge slots for the Coco and Dragon computers. If the pin-outs are
the same, the MPI may not work in a Dragon but couldn't hurt it. If the
pin-outs are different enough, damage could result from plugging an MPI
into a Dragon.

Of course the size and spacing of the lands needs to be the same.

Coco
pin   usage
1     -12v DC   Coco1 later Coco NC
2     +12v DC    ditto
3     halt
4     NMI
5     Reset
6     E clk
7     Q clk
8     CART
9     +5v DC
10-17 D0-D7
18    R/W
19-31 A0-A12
32    CTS
33-34 GND
35    Sound
36    SCS
37-39 A13-A15
40    SLEND

I can't verify the pin-out of the Dragon but try
http://www.onastick.clara.net/cart.htm
Terminology for the pins is not exactly the same but the functions look
very similar or the same to me.