[Coco] GIME Question

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Mon Jun 11 14:45:21 EDT 2007

Rumor has it that Mark Marlette may have mentioned these words:

>Remember that on a CC3, the address bus is NOT bufferred and is driven
>directly from the CPU. Watch your load counts.

>who was Quoting Mike Pepe <lamune at doki-doki.net>:
>
>>You don't have to desolder the entire ROM. One neat trick is to lift
>>one of the ROM's enable pins off the the board, solder a socket on top
>>of the ROM, and install a switch. Then you can install your modified
>>ROM and have the ability to switch back to normal without having to
>>open the CoCo up.

Mark,

[[ Not questioning your hardware knowledge - you've prolly forgetten more
than I'll ever learn! ;-) Just asking to learn... ]]

How much extra load would a "spare ROM" in High-Z (unselected) mode add to
the address buss?

Also (second but mainly unrelated question) if the ROM isn't CMOS, could
you yank the stock ROM and solder in 2 CMOS EPROMs (say, 27c256's) and keep
within the standard buss load?

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger  --  SysAdmin, Iceberg Computers
  _±±_                          zmerch at 30below.com
(©||®)  If at first you don't succeed, nuclear warhead
  _)(_   disarmament should *not* be your first career choice.