[Coco] CoCo 3 FPGA?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Tue Jul 31 14:11:31 EDT 2007

Jim Cox wrote:
> An FPGA based CoCo3 would provide a lot of younger computer
> enthusiasts the opportunity to learn more about the workings of a
> computer. I am wondering if it would be possible to incorporate an
> expansion bus or even a pro-board into such a project.  Using an
> expansion bus or proto-board you could even use chips such as the PIC
> and Atmel to expand the CoCo even further

Actually, one of the cool things about an FPGA is that you can embed a
PIC core in the chip along with the CoCo -- assuming there's enough
logic real estate left over.  And if it's embedded in the same chip, you
can do cool things with it like having it dynamically re-load the
palette registers, and so on.

One word of caution:  Gary has expressed his preference that his project
not be commercialized.  I think we need to respect that.  What he has is
some code that will turn an off-the-shelf FPGA development board into a
CoCo 3.  He said he is willing to release the code, but he doesn't want
somebody to make a CoCo 3 System On a Chip board, stuff his code in it,
and sell it.  However, I don't see why somebody couldn't make up some
interface boards that would allow one to plug CoCo hardware into one of
the FPGA development boards and sell that as a kit to make it easier for
others to roll their own.  I would hope that wouldn't violate the spirit
of Gary's project.  In any case, I don't think anybody's going to be
getting rich off a CoCo in an FPGA, but it's a fantastic new opportunity
for CoCo hobbyists, and maybe even newcomers to the CoCo as you suggest,
Jim.

JCE