[Coco] OS9 file fragmentation

Jim Hickle jlhickle at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 30 23:13:17 EDT 2007

Briza <bpa65117 at bigpond.net.au> wrote: Is there a HD defrag utility for Nitros9?

I have not seen any for Nitros-9.

But in OS-9 Level 2. There was one called DEFRAG.AR in the Australian OS-9 usergroup Public domain stuff. I'm pretty certain it was a defrag program.

I just checked my hard drive (in use for 10 months); very few files with more than one segment.  OS9Boot and the CMDS directory have 3 segments.

So I dug out some floppies from 15 years ago.  Files with more segments only show up on nearly full disks that had been used a lot.  On the one where I built the level 2 cgfx library the last file written, cgfx.l is in 5 segments. ... Of course, most of the files on the disk are small enough to fit in one sector so fragmentation can't be a problem.

Anybody have a disk where files are REALLY fragmented?