[Coco] Some OS9 Questions

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 29 23:27:00 EDT 2007

On Sunday 29 July 2007, Bob Devries wrote:
>I think that the usual style of defragmentation, that is, splitting of files
>into fragments, is fairly unusual on hard discs with a coco.
>
>However, the splitting up of directories, which after all, is just another
>file, does happen frequently.
>
>Also, if related files are scattered across the disk, this will also slow
>down the reading.
>
>My $0.02
>
>--
>Regards, Bob Devries, Dalby, Queensland, Australia
>
>Isaiah 50:4 The sovereign Lord has given me
>the capacity to be his spokesman,
>so that I know how to help the weary.
>
>website: http://www.home.gil.com.au/~bdevasl
>my blog: http://bdevries.invigorated.org/

Fragmentation on a hard drive can be reduced considerably by permanently
setting sas=FF in the disk descriptor using dmode as part of the startup, or
the appropriate byte can be adjusted in the bootfile with dEd, but be sure
to 'v'erify the file before rebooting or you just hosed the bootfile.

This will cause any file allocation to be given a contiguous 255 sectors when
a file is opened for writing.  The system will give the unused portion back
when the file is closed.