[Coco] Some OS9 Questions

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sun Jul 29 21:50:57 EDT 2007

>I think that the usual style of defragmentation, that is, splitting of
>files into fragments, is fairly unusual on hard discs with a coco.

I found hard drive fragmentation to be a minor issue under OS-9.  My
"defrag" routine was to DSAVE /h0 /h1 ! SHELL, sometime during the day then
CHD  /h1, CHX  /h1/CMDS and FORMAT /h0 and then just before I went to bed,
DSAVE /H1 /H0 ! SHELL.  By morning the files had been copied and were
defragmented.  The increase in efficiency was often noticeable, but seldom
notable.

Bruce W.