[Coco] Some OS9 Questions

Dave P. coconut at wormfood.org
Sun Jul 29 22:57:16 EDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 20:13 -0400, Paul Fitch wrote:
> Is there a HD defrag utility for Nitros9?

I used to defrag my hard drive all the time, until I found out that it
corrupted most of my data. Every time it moved data to the bad spot on
my hard drive, it would corrupt that data. Of course, I didn't know I
had bad spots on my hard drive at that time. After that, I *never*
defragged again.

If you do choose to defrag, I strongly suggest you use software that
verifies all written data, or you could be punching holes in your files.

On a side note, even today, when I copy files I care about between 2
hard drives under Linux, I still verify what is copied. I find that
every 30 to 40 gig of data copied, gets something corrupted. :(

-Dave