[Coco] Using my Coco on VGA monitor alternative?

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 26 17:30:54 EDT 2007

wdg3rd at comcast.net wrote:
> Should work no problem. Plan to try it soon with the Hauppauge PVR-150
> I bought last Friday, once I've got the bugs worked out on dumping a
> few thousand hours of videotape to disk on one of my Linux boxen. The
> Coco 1/2/3s I've plugged into the televisions through VCRs for years,
> but this tuner card does have a composite jack.

If it's anything like the Hauppauge PVR-250 (I think that's the one I
have, it has onboard mpeg2 encoding), then that won't be suitable
because there is a noticable delay between the input at the card and the
output on the screen. This delay doesn't matter when watching TV on the
card, but matters when typing, because the characters appear on the
screen lagging behind when you hit the keys, it's like the old days on a
slow modem connection :( This would of course make playing games on such
a setup almost impossible.

However I have also done this on an older Hauppauge TV card, which was
basically just a tuner card, and this worked fine with several of my
retro computers. So it may be a question of an older (simpler) card
being better.

Cheers.

Phill.