[Coco] CoCo 3 FPGA?

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jul 26 12:32:23 EDT 2007

Joel

The FPGA clock may run at 50 MHz or even higher does not mean that the
effective machine cycle time will be 50 MHz or more.  Even with FPGAs
there are internal delays for routing and throu gh the logic itself. Depending
on how many level sof gates it takes to do a function may slow the overall
effective speed.

John Kent's CPU 09, a MC6809 processor, actually runs at 12MHz due to
the way the logic synthesizes even though the FPGA clock is 50 MHz.
Depending on which FPGA  you use and how the logic is distributed I doubt
much faster than about 35 MHz effective machine cycle for a 6809 core.
Part that is limited to how fast the decode locig can do instruction and
address mode from a given opcode. I h ave toyed around with various logic
layout and the fastest time I  can get the address mode information from
when the opcode is loaded into the instruction register at about 6.5nS. That
would lead to about 60 MHz max with a Spartan 3 series processor.

Maybe some of the Virtex FPGAs are faster. But they also carry a heftier
price tag.

james