[Coco] CoCo 3 FPGA?

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Thu Jul 26 00:15:52 EDT 2007

Leonard wrote:
> Ok...I'll admit my ignorance, but I can over come it with questions?  What's
> an FPGA and what will that mean for the hobbyist?  I think an FPGA is a CoCo
> on a chip?  Does that mean its more of an emulation then actual hardware?

Leonard, this is sort of like emulation, but it is emulation implemented
in programmable hardware, rather than emulation implemented in software
running on a general purpose CPU.  So if the FPGA can be clocked at 50
MHz (to pull a number out of the air) the processor can run at 50 MHz.
For all intents and purposes, this is real hardware.  But it is hardware
that is programmable, and in some FPGAs, dynamically re-programmable
while running.  So not only could it contain all the functionality of a
CoCo 3, it could also be expanded to have Next-Generation CoCo
features.  One could even leave a section of the logic free and
implement all kinds of specialized algorithms in it, like
encoding/decoding JPEG images in hardware, color quantization, floating
point coprocessor, or whatever.
> Would this mean a CoCo that can run SVGA?

It very well could.  Just depends on what Gary has put in there.
> Would this chip be for sale?

That all depends on Gary, of course!  :)  The chip itself is probably an
off-the-shelf FPGA -- likely on an FPGA development board.  Those can be
had for $100 - $???.  The development board would have everything you
need to hook it up to a PC and program the logic array on the FPGA.
Some even have goodies like VGA and keyboard ports built in.  One might
need to cook up a little custom hardware to attach CoCo peripherals.
The main issue is whether and on what terms Gary is willing to share his
FPGA code.

It's unlikely that anybody's going to sell a packaged FPGA CoCo system
as a consumer product, though I'd love it if somebody proved me wrong
here.  But as a do-it-yourself project where somebody supplies the FPGA
code, and maybe an interface board or two, and you buy your own FPGA
development board -- that is eminently possible.  And we may be closer
to it than ever before...

JCE