[Coco] CCASM for Linux - and remote desktop

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Mon Jul 23 10:57:41 EDT 2007

On Monday 23 July 2007, John W. Linville wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 09:55:47AM +0100, Manny wrote:
>> Roger Taylor wrote:
>> >Manny, I've been sitting here an hour trying to find any built-in ftp
>> >servers in the Fedora Core 6 distro I have.  Why in the world these
>> >tools are not in the start menus is way beyond me.  That's my big pet
>> >peeve right now, how Red Hat 6 had so much in the menus, but FC appears
>> >to have trimmed a lot out.
>>
>> Would anyone that runs Fedora be able to help out here? I would like to
>> see him run ProFTPd. I'm sure there is a package for it because I used
>> to run it when I ran RedHat 6.x.
>
>Try 'yum install proftpd'?  I doubt if it is installed by default
>-- the 'everything' install disappeared a while back, over many
>objections...
>
>Too bad you are using gnome -- the kde browser supports "smb://" urls.
>So you could just share a directory on the windows box and on the
>linux side you could open konqueror and access
>
>	smb://Roger's Windows Box/ccasm development/linux
>
>or whatever.  But, I digress...
>
>> If worse comes to worse, you can always find an FTP solution for your
>> Windows box, and have the Linux box login to it's FTP server.
>
>Wow...this just seems so wrong... :-)

Yeah, with a me too.  Particularly since M$ saw the ftp protocol as an illegal
sharing mechanism from the gitgo and never has (to my knowledge anyway)
released an ftp stack that actually matches the RFC's for it.

This is one place where the *nix's are at least 2 decades ahead of M$.

BTW John, I'm getting server reject messages from linville AT tuxdriver dot
com when I reply to a message you've posted.  I killed the last one without
noting the error number though, sorry.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)