[Coco] CCASM for Linux - and remote desktop

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Mon Jul 23 01:10:46 EDT 2007

At 03:45 PM 7/22/2007, you wrote:
>Roger Taylor wrote:
>>Ok guys,
>>I upgraded the Vino package on my Fedora system and the desktop
>>sharing now works great.  I'm sitting at my Vista laptop with a
>>window into my Linux desktop view.  Other than the graphics update
>>speed, which could improve a little, I think this is the perfect
>>solution to all of my past Windows/Linux porting problems.
>>So pretty soon I'll probably have that Linux release of my CCASM
>>cross assemler available for download.
>
>Sweet. Glad to see that a VNC server / client was the right way to
>go for you. Now you just need to setup a local FTP / Apache server
>to help with the transfer of files. :)
>
>Can't wait to see how CCASM works under Linux... Just as soon as I
>pull my head out of the sand so I can resume my ASM studies. (That's
>if my head wants to come out of the sand!)

Manny, I've been sitting here an hour trying to find any built-in ftp
servers in the Fedora Core 6 distro I have.  Why in the world these
tools are not in the start menus is way beyond me.  That's my big pet
peeve right now, how Red Hat 6 had so much in the menus, but FC
appears to have trimmed a lot out.

Anyway, another problem is that the RPM installer thingy is refusing
to install RPM packages on a big FC6 archivr web site.  Clicking on
the files brings up the installer wizard, followed by "cannot install
package..." bla bla.  NOW I'm thinking I need to update the package
installer, but jeez, if it won't update itself, then this seems like
a trap unless the magic will be from the "yum" command issued manually?

If I can set up the FTP server I can transfer files back and forth
between the two computers through my network, naturally, but the
beauty is doing it all and seeing it all from the Vista
computer.  This is truly almost like having Linux and Windows on one
computer.  Oh, the File Transfer menu option is grayed out in my
Windows tightvnc client.  Googling that issue hasn't turned up squat,
but plenty of people complaing the same song.  That might be a Vista
problem, but not a worry since I'm working on the FTP solution for
file transfers.

--
Roger Taylor