[Coco] OT: Some WinXP networking help...

Tony Mori tonym at compusource.net
Sun Jul 22 18:56:53 EDT 2007

Frank, are these truly hubs? Or switches?
Windows protocols aren;t routable, so try mapping a drive to the IP address.

Ie, if your dad has a CDISK share and his IP is 192.168.1.3, try mapping a
network drive to
\\192.168.1.3\CDISK.  you can try a <Start><run> and then typing
\\192.168.1.3\CDISK
in the Run box, and see if it opens the share.

If they are all switches, they are doing what they are supposed to do  ;)

In any explorer window (ie, double-click click on My Computer) you can map a
drive by
going to <Tools>, and then "Map Network Drive" and then trying the
\\ip.address.of.computer\sharename

you can always view shares on a computer by going to a command prompt
then running "net share" at the command prompt.

Let me know if you need further help.
Tony