[Coco] OT: Some WinXP networking help...

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Jul 22 18:30:44 EDT 2007

I know some of you guys are familiar with WinXP networking! So much for
plug-n-play....
Just respond to my e-mail, not the list -- don't want to clutter it with
non-CoCo related items.

Here's my setup:
A proprietary wireless broadband connection comes into hub #1, a five
port Belkin. My dad's computer is connected directly to this hub. A 200'
cable is connected to one of the other ports and runs to my house into a
Linksys 300 wireless N router/hub (hub #2). I connect with a laptop
inside the house using the wireless connection. The router has four
ports on the back. I have a second 150' cable connected into a port
running out to my shop. In there I have a third hub (hub #3), a five
port Netgear.

Here's my problem:
The internet connections work fine, I'm out in my shop (the farthest
end) sending this now. What I don't get is why I can't see my dad's
computer in "My Network Places" -- or anywhere else (or any other
computer) on the network. I have a network printer connected to hub #3
along with my computer. I can see it, but dad can't.  My dad has two
computers connected to hub #1 and they "see" each other just fine.

It appears to me that the three hubs aren't talking to each other. Hub
#1 (the Belkin) has a built-in firewall that is active, but should only
function on the internet feed. No other firewalls are on as far as I can
tell. All computers used on the network run XP Pro w/SP2. I've run the
network setup on each from the hard drive, and made sure the workgroup
name was the same and each had a unique name.

All the #@$%@#% XP tools are wizards or so dumbed down that they really
don't show much. Maybe I need some other network admin package? I'm a
bit vague on networking, but didn't have a problem when I was using the
Belkin router in another house with three computers connected to it.
I've a hunch that the hubs may be part of the problem, but surely
there's a way to find out and solve this problem?

If anyone has any ideas please respond off-list. Sorry for sending the
message to this list, but you guys are the only computer experts I
really know and trust!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"