[Coco] [OT]Speaking for the children (of all ages)

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Sun Jul 15 18:02:58 EDT 2007

Gene Heskett wrote:
> handle an inline inclusion that big Dennis?  How many out there on dialups
> would let a contract on me?

Not only dialup but I read email on an old Compaq 486 lappy (that the
right term, Gene?). With only 28M of RAM. Mozilla is NOT happy with 28M
of RAM (So I raise a glass of grape juice on the rocks to Dennis and his
itchy suspension finger!). I suppose the good news is that I can't
afford the contract ...

Useless facts:

[kevdig at Contura /tmp]$ uptime
   2:29pm  up 353 days, 13:25,  4 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.75, 0.58

And no, I have NO imagination when it comes to naming my computers.

ebay oops:

I accidentally bought an as-is Toshiba Satellite A75 (3.2 GHz mobile
Pentium 4). After cleaning out the cpu heatsink fins and replacing the
hardened thermal goo with Arctic Silver it (fingers crossed) seems fine.
(To my surprise when I booted it the wireless network thingy finds an
unencrypted network to connect to?)

Yes, the rambling has a purpose. I am curious as to whether anyone else
with a recent vintage lappy can tell whether their "laptop" has any fan
inlets on the bottom?!? This one has two fan inlets on the bottom?
Probably not a good idea to use this on your lap.

Finally, anyone out there using Firefox2.0 on Linux have one of those
multi-core beasties (core duo)? If so I'd like to know whether you have
thin locks enabled in JavaScript:

kevdig at MicronicsW6LI:/opt/firefox2.0/lib/firefox-2.0.0.1$ objdump -d
libmozjs.so |grep "js_CompareAndSwap\|cmpxchg"

and if so are you seeing lockups? The reason I ask is that a
"hackaround" disables them for everyone because a problem was seen on
MacOSX on Intel (bug 353962 - see jslock.h). I bypassed the "fix"
(re-enabled thin locks) and have not seen any problems on PPC (PowerMac
8600 with a 750GX and a GigE with a pair of 7455s), and a dual Pentium
Pro also seems fine. Though I am on dialup ...

kevin