[Coco] MPI (Gene Heskett)

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jul 12 11:23:27 EDT 2007

On Thursday 12 July 2007, Andrew wrote:
> >> This does not bypass the slot switching of the scs signal, so it
> >> should still work when you power up the system with a game in the
> >> slot the switch is set to.
>
>Gene, Arthur:
>
>Since you both responded in nearly identical ways, I just wanted to
>clarify what I was meaning by having a bunch of cartridges for my MPI.
>
>I got my MPI as a child, and I know I have the upgrade to use it with my
>CoCo 3 (had it on my CoCo 2 before I got my CoCo 3 as a kid).
>
>I guess what I would like to make sure of is that even with those
>signals tied (after the mod for OS-9) if I could still (for instance),
>plug in my Disk Controller, RS-232 Pak, Speech/Sound Cartridge, and
>Orch-90 Pak - and use them all under DECB.
>
>So - could I set the switch to the Disk Controller, boot up in DECB,
>then load UltimaTerm (or another comm program), and dial out a modem via
>the RS-232 Pak? Or, alternatively, load up Gauntlet, and it would be
>able to "see" and use the Speech/Sound Cart for voice output (I think
>that Diecom game uses it)?
>
>I am not sure DECB or any programs under DECB care about those
>particular interrupts, but I just wanted to make sure it would still
>work - or if the modification would need a switch or something to allow
>the user (me) to "untie" those lines if I wanted to used DECB instead...
>
>-- Andrew

Unforch Andrew, I haven't ever tried that specifically, never was a RSDOS
person, usually having os9 well on the way to being booted by the time the
monitor has warmed up enough to see it.

But following the logic to its apparent conclusion, UltimaTerm, if it can find
and use the rs232 pack as is, should not have a problem because it will be
proof that it does contain the proper driver code  for that.  I'd guess that
it would be a ditto for the diecom games too, as what you are talking about
is all in the scs switching, and that part is not effected by then presence
of the jumpers.  Most of the 'games' make use of this IRQ portion of the
wiring only to autostart themselves.  Or at least that's how I understand it.