[Coco] Archiving articles: To scan or not to scan?

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Tue Jul 10 02:19:35 EDT 2007

> Message: 7
> Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:48:56 -0700
> From: "Jim Cox" <jimcox at miba51.com>
> Subject: [Coco] Archiving articles: To scan or not to scan?
> To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
>
> I want to clear out a bunch of old magazines and would
> either like to cut the articles I want and store them in a
> file, or scan them on store them electronically (on
> mirrored hard drives of course)
>
> I don't have a scanner yet, but I most likely will get
> one.  Can anyone recommend a good one?
>
> Jim

I am currently using a Canon CanoScan N670U - looking at Canon's support
page, they have a spec sheet download:

	http://preview.tinyurl.com/ythrjt

As you can see, pretty nice specs - 48 bit, 600x1200 dpi, LED backlight,
etc.

It was a cinch to set up in Linux - there was so little to do to get it
to work, I forget what I did. IIRC, the drivers were already in place,
and simply hooking it up to my workstation via USB was pretty much all I
had to do (power is via USB - so a single cable connection). Install and
run XSane and it picked up the scanner instantly - I was pleasantly
surprised (somewhere I have a copy of the Scanner HOW-TO for Linux -
before this scanner I had an old Mustek Parallel Port - setting it up
was fun...under RedHat 5.2!).

Test scans I made came out excellent - you might run into an issue with
moire patterns from magazines pages (due to the printing process) - it
is mostly a trick of picking a high enough scan resolution to scan
smaller than the dot pitch of the printing process - this scanner had no
problem doing this.

Overall, for the amount of money, it can't be beat...oh, did I mention I
picked it up for $5.00 at Goodwill?

-- Andrew