[Coco] Checking/Testing a 68B09P (Joel Ewy)

Roger Merchberger zmerch-coco at 30below.com
Tue Jul 3 12:26:27 EDT 2007

Rumor has it that Andrew may have mentioned these words:
>All:
>
>I have decided to send the lot of the CPUs to Mr. Cooper for his Vectrex.

You are obviously *not* a packrat, as you'd prolly keep one or two CPUs
"just in case." ;-)

I have an as-yet unpopulated 6809 SBC that I *think* takes the non-E
version 6809. IIRC, it's CPU, 8Kx8 RAM, 8Kx8 [EP]ROM, 6821 PIA, and I
*think* a 6850 UART. I think I have one that is populated, so when I find
the board, I can verify that it's a non-E CPU.

Not a lot of spare space on the board, but IIRC the thing's only about the
size of 2 decks of cards edge-to-edge.

If there's interest, I could try to find it and scan it in if people are
interested in seeing the circuit.

>Even so, the idea of getting one of these to work in a regular CoCo is
>intriguing, though it seems like a ton of work for a project with marginal
>benefits outside of proving it can be done. I have too many other projects
>to take on another, though.

I've had dreams (nay, nightmares ;-) of building "The UnPC." (Remember the
UnCola - i.e. 7up?) I want to build a modular computer backplane using
mostly parts from dead PC motherboards - "single-wide" would have a 39-pin
buss (from the IDE headers) or a 78-pin buss (x2 - if you wanted extra room
to interface a 68K) - and design different CPU / memory / interface boards
just for tinkering.

I had the backplane (mostly) designed in PCB under Linux, but haven't
gotten past that due to lack of drive for the project in comparison to
other things.

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | "Bugs of a feather flock together."
sysadmin, Iceberg Computers |           Russell Nelson