[Coco] Checking/Testing a 68B09P

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Jul 2 10:08:29 EDT 2007

I have a couple Motorola EXORciser single board computers that use the
(non-E) 6809.  They were meant to be used in a backplane system which
provides power on a 100-pin bus connector (same connector as S-100 bus
(I think) but different connections), and I got only the boards.  They
came with no firmware.  I found a Tiny BASIC w/ source for the 6809 and
modified it so that it should work with these boards, but I still need
to burn some custom bi-PROMs to configure the memory maps for the EPROMs
and static RAM chips I would like to use.  This is a very slow-motion
project at the moment.  If I do ever get it working, I could plug 6809
processors into it to test.  The socketed crystal is 4MHz,  resulting in
a 1MHz clock for the CPU, but all the other chips are also rated for
1MHz, so many of them would have to be replaced in order to actually
test a 6809 at 2MHz.  That would mean (at least) 2 6821s, a couple
6850s, and a 6840 programmable timer.  Not sure I could find all of
these in 'B' versions.  But if a 1MHz test of a 2MHz part is good
enough, this might be a possibility.  Maybe this is sufficient
motivation to get back to work on that project.

JCE