[Coco] [Color Computer] Need to know if I'm in safe waters here

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 21 23:25:02 EDT 2007

Briza,

There is a possible solution to your delima.

Put everything on the DVD in encrypted files.
Release the keys as you get permission from different authors and
release all the keys when all copyrights have expired.

I wouldn't use names that make sense either so people don't even know
that the files are for each encrypted archive until the key is
released for it.

Anything you already have permission to release wouldn't need to be
encrypted.

I'm not sure how I'd set things up for all keys to be released at some
point.

Just a suggestion.

James

Quoted text from the mailing list follows
------------------------

Hi Fellow Coconuts.

I have been a Coco user since X-Mas 86. I need to know is what you
Guys & Gals think of my Coco Games Software DVD set. I intend making up.
On this DVD set will be nearly every game ever Done on the Coco
computers. Excluding Games that are still being marketed by Authors,
Namely Nick Marentas and John Strong. But the DVD set will have in it
Games and Docs. But not all games will have the Docs. As I have long
lost them.
What I need to know is how you fellow coconuts feel about it. I have
already left a post in Roger's website stating my intentions for doing
this DVD set.
So far All I have recieved is a Thumbs up to the idea. It seems a lot
of Coconuts would love to see this idea come to life. But As of late I
have been having second thoughts after reading all the crap dealing
with Hex Star and his preservation website. I'm worried that this set
will end up being copied and sold on Ebay or put on a website.
This DVD set has takened me 20 odd years of software collecting to get
to this stage. Like Ira I would be devastated If my hard work was to
be used for profit on ebay or website. So I might not even go through
with my Idea.
But if I do go through with it. 1st I want to get the opinions of the
coconuts in here. secondly I will state that I will not be letting
this collection be used for purposes it was not made for. This DVD set
is for the pleasure of coco game players to enjoy games that have long
disappeared or just hard to get thats all.
And this set will contain games that are copyrighted. But I'm not
going to be making money from this adventure. all it will be doing is
paying the costs of material and time I spend cleaning it up and
marketing. This set is for the pleasure of the community nothing more.

laters

Briza